Saturday, November 14, 2009

Rose growers! I'm a newbie. How far apart to plant tea roses?

I just bought eight rose bushes. They are in 1.5 gallon peat pots wrapped in plastic. Apparently they were dormant, but they are starting to have have shoots/leaves. All are hybrid teas or grandifloras.I am going to put them in a patch that gets sun from sunrise to 4-5 pm. Very black dirt that doesn't get very compacted. I think they should be happy there....





But I'm wondering....and I haven't seen any information on the package....how far apart do I plant them....I have a 4 foot deep by 16 foot long bed. Is that enough room for all of them? or should I bring it out further.


Give me an idea of how far I need them to be from each other and you'll make my day ;)





btw - I went to the garden center looking for one rose bush to put in a container. But they were on sale 80% off as mothers day overstocks....so I didn't intend on this many....





But if you have any other advice - I'd love to hear it

Rose growers! I'm a newbie. How far apart to plant tea roses?
I think 4 to 5 ft ok. Remember you have to get around them to prune and it makes it easier not to get spiked all the time.





Perhaps you can double the depth of the bed or lengthen. if you double the length stagger them so you get better access and you can see the roses in the back of the bed.





Make sure you plant with the bud union (where they are grafted about 2 to 3 inches above the finished filled in soil. Throw some compost into planting hole and mix in. plant the rose, water very well and make sure rose does not completely dry out until established. Don't overwater just water as required. Use Seasol or other sea weed extract at planting and later (it is a tonic that promotes root growth and helps against transplant shock.) Mulch with hay or compost if you have it (keeps moisture constant). Don't fertilize initially.





Once they are established fertilize regularly with rose food, and manures. Roses are gross feeders, they are tough as nails once established but to get the lush look you have to fertilize. Don't water on the leaves if you can help it this can cause black spot.





You can never have too many plants in your garden, once you've dug the beds imagine the years of enjoyment. just enjoy!
Reply:Plant Spacing: A five-foot spacing works well for hybrid teas. Larger plants will need more room. Antique roses vary tremendously in size and form.





Good Luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment