Sunday, April 26, 2009

Rose Bushes - problems with the graft?

I have a rose bush - which is grafted to a wild rose - because of where we live. The part with the graft is living and I am getting lots of blooms. However, the wild part of the rose has started coming up - is there anything that I can do? I have been cutting down the wild part, but not sure if there is a better answer. That wild graft is what allows the rose to grow in Colorado. Thanks

Rose Bushes - problems with the graft?
Hello fellow cold season-rose grower.





Unfortunately I think you're dealing with the problem in the best way. Keep cutting those 'suckers' down. They can eventually kill the graft if you don't.





The root stock is frequently 'Dr. Huey', an aggressive climber/rambler, that blooms only once a year. It's not worth seeing what you get, if you let the root stock take over.





I hope that this helps


No comments:

Post a Comment